ConCorda is an exciting international chamber music course for young string musicians supported by the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras, the Irish Chamber Orchestra and The Arts Council. Founded by the late Hugh Maguire, ConCorda is now in its 23rd year and provides a rare platform for students from fourteen years upwards to discover and explore all aspects of string chamber music in an non-competitive and inspiring environment.
The course offers an inspiring and transforming musical experience in chamber music, string orchestra and music improvisation. Participants study chamber music intensively at a high level with a staff of Irish and international tutors.
As well as members of the prestigious Irish Chamber Orchestra, tutors have included renowned violinist, Marc Danel, the award winning French quartet Quatuor Varese and Oscar Valsecchi, an actor and mime artist, who is in much demand across Europe’s most exciting theatre companies.
During the course students:
- Develop ensemble awareness, techniques and skills through working with other advanced string players from Ireland and abroad
- Participate in daily lunchtime concerts
- Receive professional coaching and direction in preparation for a public concert
- Participate in daily improvisation and rhythm workshops, exploring music through composing and body movement
- Rehearse and perform with the ConCorda String Orchestra
- Build relationships with their colleagues by participating in a wide range of extra sport, social and leisure activities